Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Guess what we've been doing these past few days.....

First off....excuse all these pics.  They were taken with my phone and I realize they are not the best to put on the blog, but I've been too tired to pull my NIKON out for over a week....call me lazy if you must, but I have taken the easy road for a change and if all that suffers are a few posts on the blog with blurry photos then so be it!! :)

What's been going on at the House of Bowling has involved a whole lot of this: 


as well as this:


Okay, so really that picture of the ice cream is a lie, you can almost always find that much in our freezer if not more on any given week, but lately we've been stocked up because of this sweet Baby Girl:


Who you see in the photo above, all ready to be wheeled back for her surgery last week....with her pink polka dot blanket tagging along to the operating room.  This was very early in the morning....before roosters crow, even.   And doesn't she look like a beauty queen?....oh, to be youthful again, with unblemished skin and bright eyes. 

I did not take a photo of her after surgery....why? Well, frankly it was because she was crying and upset and a little scared. Not a pretty picture.  Her surgery was done as an outpatient at a surgical center instead of at a hospital.  It was a great experience.  Instead of having to wait until she had been in recovery for an hour after surgery, the doctor came out to speak to us as soon as he degloved from the operating room, and shortly thereafter a nurse wandered back to take us to Baby Girl.  So we were able to be the first people she really saw once she was waking up.  Actually, I was the first person she saw, or remembers seeing, and she scared me half to death.

She had huge tears in her eyes and was trying to talk to me.....very much animation. I, of course, couldn't understand her because she was only fresh off the the cutting block, and her throat was extremely swollen, she was still a bit out of it, and was in some pain.  In fact, she wasn't supposed to even be trying to talk to me....but please remember who we're dealing with....she's a talker, regardless. 

I kept leaning down getting right in her face trying to understand her.  I was worried she was trying to tell me she was in serious pain, or that she couldn't breathe or something like that.....so I kept asking her to repeat herself. 

She just kept saying...."wonk wonk wonk wonk, wa wonk wonk wa".....like the teacher in Charlie Brown.  :)

Finally, after about 10 tries, I figured out word by word.....and she said:

"You've got four eyes!!!"

Oh, anesthesia, how I love thee.

Really, Baby Girl did great before, during and after surgery.  And she's been a real trooper of a patient here at home.  She's resting a lot and trying to follow the doctors orders.....but being "as quiet as possible" is quite an undertaking for a girl like her.

We've played a few rounds of this:


As well as many lessons from her brand new dry erase board.... while we are having "homeschool"....the only catch, she's the teacher. :)




So far, I've had a refresher course in shapes, addition, subtraction with borrowing, line segments, homophones, vowels, etc.etc.....and to think she's only had the board for a few hours......

......oh, the fun this week holds. Imagine how smart I will be by Friday. Pray for me.

Actually, don't worry about me, I can handle it. Surely I can survive this. Right? 

Do pray for Baby Girl.  Specifically, for her to recover quickly.  She's already on the mend.  Her surgery was actually more than we knew it would be until that morning when they checked us in....she had her tonsils and adenoids removed, and she also had her uvula (the thing that hangs down in the back of your mouth where your throat is) cut down a little and then cauterized.  OUCH!

We have a post-op visit scheduled for today and hopefully the doctor will give Baby Girl a good report.  We'll let you know. 

However, I might not be able to have much computer time.....what with all my nursing skills to tend to, the tivo'ed episodes of toddlers and tiaras we have to watch, making big piles of macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, and rolling up bread into little toddler size bites, plus the various homeschool lessons....there's not much time left in the day for the blog.  Maybe the "teacher" will give me a break for free time soon and I'll talk to you all again ASAP!!

4 comments:

Raegan & Caleb said...

Praying for Baby Girl and a speedy recovery.

The Cannons said...

Get Well Wishes sent your way Baby Girl!!

momofbugs said...

Ouch! Got to love kids on medications. When my little butterfly broke her nose and collar bone the meds they gave her made her really loopy and the stuff she said was hiliarious.

ChrisJean3 said...

Praying for ya'll! Hope she feels better very soon! Would Krispy Kreme donuts make her feel better??? (I know they would Mom!) Love ya'll!