But he is less one tooth.
I secretly thought, (and honestly almost posted yesterday morning of the sweet success of making it through the entire two weeks), that we were going to skim right on through two-a-day practices without having to write this post. But by 12:15 yesterday, I would have been wrong.
Last week when I posted my nervous anticipation about Middle Child encountering FULL PADS for the first time ever, I had hoped the power of prayer would prevail on our behalf. And it did....for a very long while. You see, the head Coach had ordered shoulder pads for some on the team, many of them for the 7th graders (a small for Middle Child--in which they still swallow him whole). The problem was that the shoulder pads didn't arrive in time for the first day of FULL PADS (total contact. tackle them to the ground kind of practice). And they didn't arrive the next day either. Or the next. Or the next. Or the next.
I kind of felt bad that some of the others on the team didn't have their shoulder pads, but I'll be honest, I was thanking my Lord each day for sparing my sweet baby boy! :) However, the jig was up yesterday. And it was really Middle Child's own fault. He was BEGGING to be put in on a play against the Varsity guys. BEGGING. One of the coaches kept answering Middle Child's request to be put in with "no, you'll get killed". The Varsity defense was practicing hard. At some point, a spot became open on the offensive side and Middle Child began his campaign again....with no one else stepping up to enter the postition, the coach agreed to put him in and in disgust with the others said "look here, the smallest guy on the team is ready to play"....yeah, but his mama isn't ready yet. The coach then said okay here's the play....a play in which Middle Child was to run the ball. As hard and as far as his 75 lbs. could go against that varsity defense.
Turns out his 75 lbs. didn't go that far. He was met at the line of scrimmage by one of the SENIORS on the team who plays defensive tackle. Who actually tried to make an attempt to slow down and not tackle full throttle in the split second when he looked up and saw it was Middle Child that had the ball, but was running full speed and was pushed by another defender coming in the play. So Middle Child took a hit. A hard hit. A hit that put him flat of his back on the ground with a thud. And made him make the dreaded dry eery noise that comes from your mouth when the breath is knocked completely out of your lungs. Here's his conversation with his PawPaw later that afternoon to recap the big day:
PawPaw: "So, when you were laying there did you see little yellow birds flying in a tight circle around your head?"
Middle Child: "Um, no sir, I didn't see birds, but (stands in the middle of the room with arms stretched out and slowly turns in a circle) you know how when you were a little kid and you thought it was fun to spin 'round and 'round and 'round like these to make yourself dizzy? Well, it was like that when I tried to get up and walk."
PawPaw: (chuckling) "But you got up."
Middle Child: "Yes sir, but I couldn't breathe for like 6 seconds. And the guy who hit me came over to check on me and apologized and said he didn't mean to hit me full speed. Oh, and he knocked my tooth loose....see...(opens mouth, sticks tongue against back side of loose tooth to make it protrude forward out of the gum).
PawPaw: "My goodness, I declare he did. Well, at least that wasn't a permanent tooth. Must have been a pretty hard hit. Did you go back in for any more plays?"
Middle Child: "Yes sir, but I told Coach I needed to come out for the next play. And then when they did let me go back in, I played receiver" ..... (he knew he was safer in that position because they were mostly practicing running plays and he wouldn't get drilled)
He survived to tell his tale. His first hit in High School Football....by a varsity defensive senior none the less....for a loss of three on the play. And that tooth he knocked loose....well, Middle Child pulled it out during their second practice of the day.
My, my, these boys of mine are growing up.
3 comments:
oh.my.goodness. where can i sign lawson up for a football camp for kickers?? we'll start training now!
Way to go, Walt! Keep up the good work. I am proud of you!
What's the deal with boys chipping their teeth? Maybe we should start our own dental practice. I think dental school might be cheaper than the amount of expense I will incur over the next few years.
Post a Comment