Tuesday, August 03, 2010

A Panting Soul.



I promise I'm going to get going again on the blog...hopefully one day soon.  Of course, you may not care at all of our absence....it may have been a nice little break. :)   But we've just been enjoying the summer....and while I have tons of pictures and stories I could tell, memories of our summer of twenty-ten,  I've just been soaking them up for myself lately.  I'll get around to sharing them, pinky promise. :)

However, for now, you'll just have to survive on another H3 post. A new verse to meditate on for this month. And with it comes my own little post with jumbled up thoughts that may or may not have anything at all to do with what the Lord had intended, but it often helps me remember what His word says anyway! :)   Bear with me, here we go.

"As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God."
~Psalm 42:1

Where ever you are, tell me, have you been experiencing a hot summer?  We have.  Especially the last few days.  I hear snippets on the radio or tv stating weird things like "heat index of 108" and true temps in the triple digits.  Seriously, we've topped 100, on more than one occasion.  Now, I don't know about you, but that's hot to me. Even the sun lover that I am can only take so much, before I curl up in the air conditioner with a cool glass of lemonade and watch countless episodes of Deadliest Catch....I already miss Captain Phil.

Anyway, back to the hot summer.  I worry about our animals.  Our beloved labrador and even that pesky feline.  Fresh, cool water is a necessity for them during these harsh summer months. Ever hear of the "dog days" of summer? Well, we, my friend, are among them as we speak.  And what I've noticed is that once you've been outside for more than 1.8 seconds during the dog days of summer, you're gonna sweat. Regardless of how much Clinically Proven Degree you swipe across the pit.  Just sayin'.

Have you ever noticed though that a dog doesn't really "sweat"?  Not as we think of sweating....their sweat glands are located in the pads of their paws....not the best place for secreting sweat when you're burning slap up in the throes of summertime in the south.  

So, dogs pant.  They pant a lot.  If you have a dog, or have ever been around any dog, especially outside in the summer, you will have noticed this panting.  Sure they do it when they get anxious, scared or excited too. A few months ago, if you remember the story entitled Man's best friend and a leap of faith, then you will rememeber our dog Sadie was panting incessantly....from the trauma of being hit by a car.  But most often, Sadie's panting (and that of other dogs) is a way of cooling off.  Panting is like their own personal way to release body heat and lower their temperature. 

I was reading a story in a book the other day that was talking about this very thing....various animals, sweating and the heat.  I wanted to share a bit with you....it's important and ties in so cleverly to our verse:

"Basically, all warm-blooded animals need some way to regulate body heat in warm weather.  This can be done through sweating, panting, bathing, or all three.  Most animals follow their instincts and seek rest, shade, and a nice, long drink when the temperature soars.  Not a bad approach. Frankly, we humans should do the same."

I couldn't agree more.  During the remainder of this scorcher of a month called August.....remember to pant, remember to bathe yourself, in the Lord.

A new school year is fast, and I mean fast, approaching.  Fall will show itself soon with a calendar filled to the brim with activities for families all around.  Hardships will come.  Many have already arrived. Many in the friends and family we share with here on the blogosphere and in our personal lives as well.  Work duties are calling out, even louder, because the vacation is over.  It's time to buckle down, get to the nitty gritty, gear up for what is to follow the dog days of summer.

Friend, can I tell you that the easiest way through this heat,
through the busy life that never seems to slow,
through the endless problems that surface in your workplace, in your church, in your home,
through the pain and sorrow that comes to us all through trials, death, divorce, broken hearts, gossip, burdens, etc.

The easiest way through every moment this life offers is to seek rest in Him.  To take our bibles, study and contemplate these words written so many years ago.....to take a long drink of this life giving water only He can provide. 

That's the only way to truly mend our souls.  To have our soul pant for the Father, as the deer to a stream of water.

Don't let the devil scorch you with the evils of this world.  And certainly don't allow the devil to scorch you in the afterworld. 

When the fires are burning around you...remember this verse: 

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God." ~Psalm 42:1


Drink Him  in....and soak up His mercy. 

1 comment:

Lana said...

I have always loved this verse. The words are so soothing. Thanks for this thirst quenching selection.

I HAVE missed you blog! Glad you are back.