Friday, March 20, 2009

Day 6 -- Spring Break Road Trip '09

We are making our way back home.....back through Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky..... we made our last stop today.....near Hodgenville, Kentucky. Another great historic site....and the future project idea for one of the kids history projects!!

  • I love some of Abe's famous quotes.....in case you can't read them:

"I happen, temporarily, to occupy the White House. I am a living witness that any of your children may come here as my father's child has."


"In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God had given to man."---- and I want to add a big AMEN, Abe.


Playing with "Lincoln Logs" outside in the visitor center waiting for our short film to begin.



Here is Abe's memorial..... In 1909 the cornerstone was laid by President Theodore Roosevelt and the building was dedicated in 1911 by William Howard Taft. You walk up 56 granite steps....for his 56 years of life.....and inside is a replica of the cabin. Our wonderful, 16th President...honest Abe....who came from a little ol' log cabin with only an equivalent of 2 years of formal education.




This is Abraham Lincoln's mother, Nancy. I think he looks like his mom. What about you?


Well, that about does it for the road trip......tomorrow is Day 7. We'll be back home. And we intend to follow the good Lord's divine lead...... on the seventh day, we too shall REST.
Thanks for coming along for the ride.......can't wait til next year.....who knows what states we'll get to mark off the list!! :)

3 comments:

Joy said...

Abe Lincoln's birthplace is close to where I lived in Madisonville, Kentucky. I remember going there in the third grade.Be careful and come home safe!

Anonymous said...

Supper will be waiting!

The Cannons said...

Loved all the pics and posts!Looks like ya'll had a wonderful time.So thankful you made it back safely.