Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Camp McDowell.....I love you, but your hikes make my shins hurt. :)

So, last week, I gathered up enough energy to be a chaperone with Walt's enrichment class at Camp McDowell. And although last year I was able to sleep in the cabin with my Walt......this year, they needed chaperones in the girls' bunks. So, me and another fearless mother of boys, were summoned to the cabin of 15 girls, varying ages from 3rd-8th grade.

  • Oh, I can't begin to tell you the difference between living with a cabin of 9 boys versus 15 giggling girls, sharing a shower, and sleeping on cots. The biggest difference may have been when I walked in to brush my teeth the first night, and saw no less that 247 bottles of "stuff" the girls would be using for the next 48 hours. Groovy Grape shampoo sets, bottles and bottles of lotion, lots and lots of brightly colored towels (turquoise, hot pink, lime green), a few monogrammed toiletries/cosmetic make-up bags, Coconut conditioner for that sleek look, a million pony tail holders and hair clips....etc.etc.etc.
Because clearly, the varmits we'd be seeing on the wilderness hikes and at the pond & stream class would want us to look our absolute best, or not come along at all. I've seen squirrels run away at the sight of a non-lip-glossed gal......and don't get me started on what the coyotes were howling at one night...... :) Girls. If I didn't realize it before, I do now.....they are different. Totally different.


  • But thankfully, there were also these wonderful sights at Camp McDowell that make it all worthwhile........there's just something about hearing a clean, crisp, refreshing waterfall, and seeing a beautiful moss-covered giant rock.


  • Look....there's a little varmit....oh, it's just Walt....standing at the "fork in the road" leading into Camp.
  • One of our favorites----the swinging bridge over the river. Time to face your fears, or fall through the open cables! :)

On one of our many hikes, after we cross the bridge, but before we reach the waterfall, we pass lots of rocks that have clean water falling from them. As the indians say...."weeping rocks make the best drinking water"...... Well, last year, Big Dave (a senior instructor at Camp McDowell, and Walt's favorite teacher ever!), taught the guys a new game to play when you pass by these rocks. It's called EYE SMACK. Sounds fun, right?

  • So, you stand underneath the rocks and try to catch one of the water droplets with your eyeball. Sure, when it splats onto your retina, it hurts for a second and then, you laugh out loud and do it all over again, and again, and again. Or at least that's what you do when you are 10.....not so much when you are 36. I'm just here for the photo opportunities.




  • And look at this other varmit that arrived one evening to eat supper with us and stay for the ever popular, NIGHT HIKE. Thanks T-5.

  • He's the cutest little deer skin wearing, sign of the bear painted face camper I've ever seen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tag.. you and Liza were IT... Just think I managed them ALL by myself last year. You forgot to add the tears in your description of all the things they brought with them.. Missed the fun at Camp. So glad you were able to go and enjoy it with Walt.

Anonymous said...

so i am a varmint?? How about critter?