Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Update to "I'm sexy and I know it" in a pin stipe vest.

First, I have to thank some of my friends who actually had the gumption to get their cameras out during this event and then shared their photos with me!!!  Otherwise, none of this would have been documented properly! :) Because this slacker mom was so enthralled in nerves, I never took out my camera.....crazy!!!  I didn't even manage to get one photo of the shindig as it unfolded before us. 

You may or may not remember hearing about from us or reading this post earlier this month concerning Elder Son and Middle Child participating in their school Campus King and Queen.  That particular post comes complete with interview dialogue, that will go down in our family as total keepers to talk about from here until the end of time.

Well, as it turns out, Middle Child was right to be his true self in the interview room--where his personality apparently was even higher than his GPA.  You will remember that I said he was very disappointed when he realized, as a 7th grader, he was not actually eligible to win Campus King...you must be in grades 10-12 to earn the title.  So, his next goal was focused intently on beating out his brother. 


And he did exactly that. By one spot. A fellow classmate of Elder Son won 3rd alternate.  Elder Son was happy to be announced a winner as 2nd alternate and I was a beaming proud mama!  But the excitement was short lived, when I realized there was only one place left that Middle Child could take, I'm not gonna lie....I was a bit sad for him.  I turned to my friends and said, "you know there are still several guys in the race, a couple of them seniors even, bless his heart, he is going to be so upset."  And then they announced Middle Child as 1st alternate!  I could have jumped out of my skin!!



  • One of Middle Child's good friend, who is a senior, won Campus King....but I'm not so sure he wasn't as equally proud of the fact that Middle Child won 1st!!


  • Amidst the excitement, and forgetting he was on stage in the spotlight for all to see, Middle Child "blew it up" on stage when his friend walked out:

  • And of course, they had a picture made together where Middle Child was allowed to hold "the wand"....:)



  • Elder Son and Middle Child are more like brothers to these girls, they are some of their best friends.


  • This lovely lady placed won 1st alternate in Campus Queen and thus was coupled with Middle Child on stage and in the back for the photographer.....the yearbook photo of the two of them will look similar to Mutt and Jeff.

  • This is the moment they announced he had won 1st alternate and he walked on stage to receive his plaque.....can you see just how shocked, excited and proud he was?  Priceless.
                                                 

I was so proud of both of our boys....and they were proud to have won, too. 

While I can't say Elder Son was exceedingly happy he was beaten out by his little brother, I can report that back home after the event, no one lost a limb or received a black eye.  And they weren't even miffed at their mom for forcing them to enter. Go figure. 

Maybe mamas really do know what they're talking about afterall. 

2 comments:

Kim Lawson said...

Way to go boys!! I bet those Campus King and Queen flyers make it home next year! ;)

Courtney Long said...

great story! way to represent Bowling boys!