Monday, November 28, 2011

I lived to be 39...and then he made me get a job.

EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it. 

Apparently, due to my increase in years, dear husband decided I needed a hobby full time job.  Aside from the full time mama gig I had going.  So, he, along with a partner, bought a famous (to us) syrup plant.  Then handed me the keys to the front door and said, "go run it".



I'll let that sink in a bit. And while it's sinking in, let me remind you of a few very important facts:
  • He didn't even ask for a copy of my resume. 
  • Or any references.
  • He never ran a drug test. Or background check.
  • Nor did he conduct an interview...where he could have found out these important facts.
  • I have been "retired" for more than 15 years.  
  • I have never ran a small business in my life.  
  • I do not have any actual experience in the syrup industry. 
  • Let's just call it like it is...I've never had experience in this thing called the work industry, period.
  • Therefore, I may or may not really be qualified to run a syrup plant.
  • Or even be married to an owner of a syrup plant.
  • Or own my own stock in that syrup plant.
My point is, if you like this syrup, go clear your grocer's shelves of it.  Pretend like it's Y2K all over again, and hunker down with cases of the stuff.  It may be your last chance to ever buy it.  From here on out, I'm the one in charge.  And while I have no idea of all the qualifications necessary, I am confident that I lack the majority of them.  

I do love the syrup. It was my PawPaw's favorite. That's the big reason behind how Temple suckered me into accepting this position. "Now, wouldn't your PawPaw be so proud?". 


I even have a bunch of those letters behind my name now, a famcy schmancy title. Chief Operating Officer--responsible for daily operation of the company.

Which spells COO.  Coo can be defined as "to make a low soft cry like a dove or pigeon".....

Yep, that's me.  The one who has made a few soft cries during the course of the past two months while I have been learning all about the syrup company and how to run it. Acquiring the ingredients for the syrup, mixing the syrup, cooking a batch of the syrup, bottling the syrup, packaging the syrup, shipping the syrup, promoting the syrup, selling the syrup, meeting with chemical treatment folks, learning how to work a boiler room, taking apart a conveyor belt with sticky syrup, managing employees, changing out a labeling machine, running a pallet jack, creating a shipment stack, wrapping a shipment stack, etc. etc. etc.

Slow and steady.... I'm trying my hardest not to sink the Golden Eagle ship, and so far, I'm managing to keep my head above the proverbial vat of syrup water. 

6 comments:

Courtney Long said...

whoa! that's a big deal! congrats! good luck - you'll do great!

Joy said...

I have no doubt you will do great!

Raegan & Caleb said...

Wow. I'm jealous. Golden Eagle. Yum.

You do know I can't get that out here in Texas right? Ever thought about expanding your distribution?

If not, I know who to call when I'm running low.

Cordes Mom said...

I'm so happy for y'all! Golden Eagle is like a foundation stone for Fayette County, in my opinion, and who better to own/run it than you and Temple. I can't stress how tickled I was to read this post. I wish you the best of luck, and if you need any help, let me know (not that I know a single thing about the syrup business either, but I'd try my darndest!) Just let me know!

Kim Lawson said...

Do wha?!?! You are jack of all trades! And since I know nothing about the syrup business, you won't be able to call me for help on a Friday night while I am at a restaurant eating with my family---hahaha!! Best of luck, to you and Temple!!! :)

momofbugs said...

I have never seen this syrup before. Are you shipping? Good luck with your new adventure!