Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mommy and Me date -- edition Elder Son


Elder Son surprised me.  I assumed at his delicate age, a "Mommy and Me" date would be highly uninviting.  Much to my delight, he was truly excited to plan a day for just us.  I relish those rare moments, as I know he is fast approaching the time zone that mainly includes activities with folks his own age. 

I think his first choice was for us to go to go-cart racing....I quickly informed him that would not be real fun with me at the helm, but rather something he should probably do with Dad. He chose the zoo, followed by lunch, and then a movie (Pirates of the Caribbean) complete with buttered popcorn & milk duds.   It had been several years since he had been to the zoo, and while he really wanted to go, he was concerned (tenderhearted chap that he is) about making me go again since I had just been a few weeks earlier with his brother.  I told him I'd be delighted to take him to the zoo, so off we went: 

  
 Elder Son was thrilled to see me squirm in the reptile building.

Each time I see one of God's creations, I am more and more amazed.  Here, a "leaf-nosed" snake: 

This guy was huge (see the pinecones around him)...his shell was so neat, and those squatty legs. :)  


One of our (Middle Child as well as Elder Son and myself) favorite exhibits--the predators.  During our visits, the lioness had just had cubs, barely a couple of weeks old, so she and the cubs were not on display as of yet.  Only Big Daddy...sitting high atop his rock...looking like a scene from The Lion King.  


He came down for showtime at the Predator Zone...better known as feeding time.  The zookeepers use this time to get close to the lion by feeding him several several pounds of ground beef on a stick, in order  to check his body, his agility, his teeth, etc...like a well check to make sure there are not any issues that need to be dealt with...all from the convenience of the chain link fence separation.  



Fence (which was constructed by the lowest bidder) or not, I'm not so sure I want to be that close to his paws.

Dude, you have some seriously hairy pits.


After his lunch bucket of meatballs on a stick have been exhausted, he gets a cool "treat"...goat's milk sprayed onto his tongue.  Again, this is another way for the vets to check his teeth/mouth area from safety.

 

They are beautiful creatures.  Powerful, yes, be certain of that, but looking in his face...majestic.  

Reminds me of Elder Son....powerful, majestic, king of my heart. Oh, and he eats a lot too.

Thank you, for a wonderful day with the animals...I remember taking you there so many times as a toddler...special memories made again now as a teenager.

3 comments:

Barbara Chambers said...

My question of the day is "Why wouldn't he want to spend the day with you? You are the most fun and entertaining person he knows."
Truthfully, he would have to be nuts or an Alabama fan not to want to hang out with you! Love you and miss you and your gang.

Joy said...

This one made me teary eyed. Sweet man! And I too think the lion is magestic!

momofbugs said...

I have never been that close to a lion. How Awesome! Its so wonderful to have one on one time with each of our kids.