Monday, November 08, 2010

Baby Girl's field trip to the Govenor's Mansion


It was fun and sad all at the same time.  My last field trip to commemorate a year with Alabama History on the curriculum. Just another reminder my babies are growing up. But it was fun, of course I consider any day spent with my kiddos fun....even when it involves a charter bus full of easily excitable, very loud 9 year olds and a cold lunchroom hotdog on a wheat bun. 





I thought this was so neat and had to include it in the post.  The items framed are from the early 1900's, belonging to a General who first owned the home, and were found in 2004.  What I find so funny about it is the list in the upper left hand corner.....

                                      


A list written over a hundred years ago, on a ripped piece of brown paper.....that could be timeless.  It's the same list that you and I make all the time.

"goods for Emilys dresses, get check cashed, pay bill, glasses for table, stockings for Emily...."

I guess women have been making lists since the beginning of time.




Of course we learned a lot of history about various pieces in the home of our state's govenor, little insider facts, items sent from different countries with stories to tell......but what impressed a bunch of 4th graders the most???? 

The pool out back that was shaped like the state of Alabama. 


No comments: