As one of their summer coupons of fun, I told the children I would take them to a thrift store, turn them loose with $10 each, and see what treasures they could find.
Man, I had no idea the thrift store could provide such entertainment....they each had the best time scouring the aisles with bright eyes when they would bring something to me to confirm that indeed that 79 sticker on the top of said item meant that it was a whopping 79 cents. Below you will find a sampling of the items we purchased, loaded in our car, and promptly came home to put in a scalding hot dishwasher cycle, a thorough clorox wipe cleansing, and a final lysol spray disinfecting. Basically, the chemical process to dispose of the germs probably cost more than the sum of all items, but it was worth it.
Apparently I have a thing for glasses. I bought several on the excursion. These bicentennial ones (a quarter each) because they remind me of those tupperware sold in the late 70's...I don't know why but they are one of my favorite kind of glasses to drink from, weird, I know.
These steins are for fun as well. A couple of years ago on a spring break road trip, we took the kids to eat pizza in New Jersey. I figured we needed a New Jersey stein just because....and it currently acts as a pencil holder. The Michigan mug I just bought because Middle Child has a thing for anything collegiate, logos, etc., and it is being housed in the basement kitchenette, ready you need a fun mug to pour your root beer for movie night.
And these little jewels were only 17 cents each....some are old even. We like little juice glasses. And I used a couple in the guest bathrooms for a water glass.
Middle Child found a bag of toys for $1.98....which included all these Toy Story figures, including Lotso the mean bear from Toy Story 3 even. Toy Story is one of my favorite movies...Mr. Potato Head and his wife make me laugh out loud every time.
A new game for only 99 cents.
Middle Child also has some new love affair with lacrosse, and for weeks has been insisiting he NEEDED a lacrosse stick. Lo and Behold, the thrift store made life complete for him....for the low low price of $1.48.
Baby Girl asked for this robo dog thing two Christmases ago. I didn't see the point in paying $40 for a fake battery operated dog when we have a beautiful lab (Sadie) at home that loves attention, so she went without the latest toy craze that Christmas....poor deprived child. Imagine her delight when she found this guy for 99 cents....and he still works like a charm....but if you ask me I still say Sadie has it beat by a mile!
And what about this nifty penguin....
which can provide hours of mindless eye-popping fun?
Needless to say, the thrift store was a big hit and we'll be returning again one day.
2 comments:
great idea!! excellent finds!
I love the adventure of a thrift store
Post a Comment