I know. I know. I stay so behind on this ol' thing called the blog. But I'm trying to do better. It's a matter of relevance, the term better. Putting up a post months after the fact is better than not putting it up at all. Right? So, Elder Son tried out for the basketball team again this year, and this time he made it! Yeah for Elder Son! We were proud of him, as this was something he really worked hard to do, and really wanted to be a part of the team.
He still isn't a starter, but he has seen some playing time on the court. I actually wasn't there to see him play in his first game, but his father was....and he was kind enough to send me that sweet text "your son just scored his first points." I was elated! And immediately sent a text out to several friends announcing the big breaking news. As if anyone really wanted to know, but hey, I'm a proud mama, I'll tell the world about my kids if they'll only stop and listen! :)
It's been hard trying to keep up with 3 kids all going different directions, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world!
Now, aren't you glad this was a feel good post instead of a tear jerker like this POST from last year when he tried out...and didn't make it?
Me too.
'Cause those will break your heart slap in half when you have to live through them.
This year it was a much better time for all of us involved. And don't think for a minute I didn't sweat bullets waiting for the call to come forth that tryouts were over. Last year, I had been at gym with Baby Girl and Granny had to pick up Elder Son from the dreaded let down of not making it. I decided not to miss that this year, win, lose or draw, I'd be there to shout with joy or cry silently inside with him.
So, because he is a teenager, it seems fun to play tricks on your mom. Tricks that make your heart stop a beat or two. Just because. Yeah, it's real funny, unless you're the mom. Who loves your child more than basketball or life itself. Here's how this year's conversation went after try outs:
"Hey, mama?"
"Yeah, buddy, are you finished?"
"Yes, we're finished, come pick me up."
"Okay, I'll be there in a minute, so, how'd it go, did you make the team?"
"I can't hear you real good, just come pick me up."
I'm not gonna lie, it's hard to figure out teenage boys and their emotions even face to face, but through a converstaion on a phone???? please, ....it's virtually impossible. So, my mind raced a thousand miles while I drove the dreaded few to the gym. What if he didn't make it? What would I say? How could I make it feel okay? It's not like a scrape on the knee after a bicycle wreck on the driveway when he was 6....band-aids, kisses and popsicles don't work anymore.
I pull up to the gym and he's in the parking lot talking with some other kids, and a close family friend who's in college. He hops in the passenger seat and I just smile, not wanting to cause any unneccessary drama in front of his peers, I don't immediately ask the BIG pressing question.
The college aged family friend (who was an outstanding athlete in high school and college) stands at my window and leans in....then says aloud across me, "it's okay, Elder Son, you'll make it next year."
I just look back and forth between them like a tennis match at Wimbledon. I'm speechless. And heartbroken. But trying to be strong. Elder Son seems like he's being really strong, too. And we sit there for what seems like forever or maybe it was just a few seconds, and finally Elder Son cracks a broad smile and says "Mama, we're just messing with you, I made it!".
Real funny. Teenage boys. They're a laugh a minute.
4 comments:
AWESOME!!! Congratulations Elder son!! Oh, how, I'm not looking forward to teenage pranks, especially the ones that tug on your heartstrings! Or should I say jerk on your heartstrings!!
I am very proud of you Rivers! I would love to come and watch you sometime!!
I love you!
Whoop! Whoop! Good boy, so proud of Elder son!! (and love his sneaky tricks too, hehe)
Very happy for elder son! I'm sure this means the world to him right now! Hope ya'll are doing good. Love you!
Post a Comment