Monday, December 03, 2012

And he shall be called JESUS

The most wonderful time of the year....when the Nativity is brought to the forefront for all to remember.  Sure, Easter is wonderful too, bittersweet really, the time we remember the sacrifice that was made for each of us...Our Saviour died on a cross so we could live forever.  It's pretty amazing stuff when you stop yourself to think about it.  However, every story must have a beginning and before HE could die, HE had to be born.

Thus, sweet, young, Mary set forth on a 9 month journey like none of us have ever done before.  Oh, I know as a mother we all have stories of our children's birth, our grandchildren, our "gotcha" moment for those whom God created a family in different ways.  And certainly, there have been countless friends and family we've known through the years who found themselves at a young age preparing for motherhood. But if you're honest you will agree, nothing beats Mary's story....she gave birth to our LORD.  She is the mother of the one, THE ONLY ONE who can save our wretched, ugly, no good, rotten souls. (For some reason when I wrote those words it reminded me of Home Alone...remember that scene? Great movie.)

Anyway, here's our verse for this month, let it serve as a gentle reminder during this season:

"And she shall bring forth a son,
and thou shalt call his name JESUS;
for HE shall save his people from their sins." 

~Matthew 1:21

I am so thankful for Mary and Joseph, their dedication and faithfulness to the message they received from an angel, and their commitment to outlast the world's view of what was taking place.  I am thankful for the wise men who went back a different way. I am thankful for a pile of used hay.  But most of all, I am thankful I serve a God who had a master plan for all creation and that I am able to be a part of it.

I am eternally grateful that Jesus was born to save me from my sins.  Because if we are honest, we know what a mess we can get our lives into sometimes, and the only way out is through a baby on a haystack.

No comments: