Thursday, September 15, 2011

talk about adding INSULT to INJURY....

So, these computer woes are really depressing.  It's hard to live life without your laptop (the mothership for files, photos, all manner of data, etc.etc.). And don't even get me started on the idea of no internet. It's like having to go back in time before indoor plumbing…..
The laptop was completely TOTALLED in car insurance terms and is presently in recovery mode.  Keep your fingers crossed I didn't loose any photos...they are the snapshots of our life.


Anywho...since we don’t have photos at the moment, on to this post, concerning that recent trip to the ER. Let's go back in time a bit....Labor Day weekend. What fun! We kicked it off with a trip to Auburn to watch the National Champions in their season opener! (Auburn is my happy place and I'm getting a shirt with that on it one day.) The young tiger team did not look stellar for the season opener, but still managed to pull out a victory and we had lots of fun....we were in AU afterall.


On Sunday, Temple and I woke up and I mentioned that my back was hurting.  He replied, "well, you know Kimberly, we are getting older and you did sit in the stadium yesterday on those hard bleachers all day in the heat for hours."


To which I rolled my eyes and WANTED to say aloud (but only said it in my head as I was trying to save energy to ease off the pain)   --  "Look, buddy, just because you turned 40 last month doesn't mean that we are all receiving Scooter and HoverRound packets in the mail.  I've still got a year left as a spring chicken thankyouverymuch. My back is not hurting because I sat outside in the heat on a set of bleachers for hours."


He continued getting ready for Sunday school while I laid there contemplating the effects of old age.  In just a few minutes, I had the most intense pain known to man. Or at least known to this woman.  I thought I might die right in the bathroom floor.  I knew that I felt something inside me happen...but I had no idea what. I managed to pull myself to our bed and when Temple came out to check on me he found me laying there in a lump crying.  Hysterically. Of course he inquired what was wrong.  I tried explaining that I was having severe pain in my abdomen. My lower abdomen, below my belly button.  Here's the conversation:


T: "Well how bad does it hurt? Is it worse than when you broke your kneecap and had surgery?"

K: "Yes, much worse"

T: "What about when you had the babies, is it worse than when you had labor with 3 kids?"
K: "Yes, it is worse than any of those. It's bad. Really bad."

T: "Are you kidding?  It's worse than giving birth?"
K: "Yes, worse, I'm telling you I have never felt pain like this in my entire life."

T: "Well, what all did you eat yesterday at the game, I mean what about your abdomen, where does it hurt exactly, is it sharp pains, grabbing pains, I mean you know do you feel like you might just need to use the bathroom, like maybe your bowels need to move, you know how bad that stomach cramping can feel....."


At which point I no longer roll my eyes, I cock the eyebrow and declare "I THINK I AM OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE WHEN MY BOWELS NEED TO MOVE-----THAT IS NOT THE TYPE OF PAIN I AM HAVING."


First, he implies I'm on the edge of requesting a room in the nursing home and then, 10 minutes later implies that I must be a child who hasn't quite grasped the onset of poopie pains.  I tell you, a real gem.


Now, as not to bore you with the next 5 hours of details, just suffice it to say that the severe (I think I'm dying) pain lasted about half an hour and afterwards there was just a minor lingering pain, and tenderness all over my abdomen.  I did manage to make it to Sunday school, church, and came home to rest for a while to see if the pain would subside.  When it did not completely give way, I decided I needed to be checked, not just by Temple's perusing of WebMD from my iphone.  And I insisted I would be fine to drive myself to a medcenter office.  After much ado, they decided it best for me to go to the ER to have a catscan to see if my appendix had ruptured.  So much for being fine. A demerol shot and half an hour later, my brother arrived with Temple to gather me up for the hospital.


Long story still long but shorter, I drank the light up juice and took the scan.  Fortunately, my appendix had not ruptured...but an ovarian cyst had.  That was the SEVERE pain I had felt.  I've never had one before but so many women have, young and old. Those who can sit on the bleachers for long periods of time and even those who know about their own bowel movements. So, I joined the club for ruptured cysts.  It's not a fun place to be.  And then I had to follow up in 3 days with my gynecologist.  More fun.  All I had ever known of ultrasounds were those involving a wand drug across cold jelly that had been smeared onto my prego belly.....I had no idea you could be sent for an ultrasound that involved a PROBE.  Ugh. 


The cyst did rupture on Sunday morning during that period of time where I thought the pain was EVEN WORSE than giving birth.  Even 3 days later it was still really large despite being somewhat deflated with fluid around.  Because of this, the doctor choose to do a few more tests of which I hope to find out the results later this week.  The best part of the visit.....Dr. Morgan gave me a great analogy to share with my husband.  He said in order for him to better understand what I was going through, I should explain it like this:    "Assume one of your testicles swelled to three times it's normal size.  Then it exploded from within. Do you think that would hurt a little and do you think you would tell someone?"


Or it could have just been that my bowels needed to move.


Yeah, right.

9 comments:

Raegan & Caleb said...

Oh no! It is a funny story. Not that you were in pain. Or you had a cyst rupture. I'm glad you are okay. But you have a great way with words.

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

Yes,it hurts!!! Men would never make it through all the stuff women have to endure!!!! Glad you are better and hope all the tests come back okay.

Amanda McCrory said...

Wow I'm with Raegan love the way you keep us wanting more (you should write short novels)Glad you are ok and you don't have any more.

Kyler, Jennifer, Olivia and Lucy said...

Sorry you aren't feeling well. But I have to admit I almost spit coke all over my laptop reading that part from your Doc. Love y'all :)

Kim Lawson said...

OMG! I am so sorry about the cyst. Really I am! But I, too, laughed my head off! Love the enlarged testicle analogy!

Joy said...

I had that happen many years ago. Yes......unbelieveable pain. I was in the hospital for 5 days...you know back in the old days you went straight into the hospital. I agree you should be a writer! Finally....glad Temple is an engineer and not a doctor and glad you didn't do something like ummmm.....bop him in the nose!

hicksfamilycircus said...

Glad you are ok. I'll be praying for you.

Courtney Long said...

wow - glad you're ok. I had a conference this week where I was sitting through umm.. shall we just say long meeetings, and was trying to read this on my tiny blackberry while also trying to pretend like I was paying attention to the presentation -- it wsa hard not to gasp out loud and even harder not to laugh out loud!!

Lana said...

Poor baby. From now on, call me. I won't ask nagging questions... I'll just haul you to the hospital. I love you and I hope that you are feeling better.

Lana