**This post is a bit late, the snow was actually back on February 10 and since then we recently had a full week of the absolute most pleasant weather ever here. Ever. So pleasant. High 60's or low 70's for a solid week. In February. However, this post had to be included, we may not have snow for another few years so I need it documented. Plus, I may need it to remind myself this summer when the scorching temps arrive in July and I begin complaining about the heat....it does eventually cool off again. And sometimes, even in the south, it snows.
Seriously. Snow. In the South. AGAIN. Can you believe it? Me either.
This is crazy. I've never seen such a winter wonderland in my life. Of course, that's because I reside in Alabama, not Minnesota....we don't do winter wonderland so much. However, it's fun to pretend every once in a while. But if this keeps up, this snow event stuff every couple of weeks, I may be forced to start asking "you guys" to run downtown for me a "pop". Instead of asking "y'all" to go get me a glass of sweet tea. :)
Seriously, when it snows hard enough to blow sideways and stick into the netting of the basketball goal.....it's a real snow event, y'all.
Every aspect of play my kids would normally use outdoors was covered in snow. The ground was almost 5 inches deep with the white stuff. And it was the good white stuff, too. The powdery kind. The soft kind. The kind not crusted over with the ice pellets coating, hard, scrunchy, hurt like heck when you get pegged with a snowball stuff. Sure the icy topping made for a fun sled ride last time, but the whole snowball fights lacked much to be desired, unless emergency rooms are your kind of fun.
And it was the PERFECT snow for making snowcream. Mom made the kids some fantastic melt in your mouth snow ice cream....several batches in fact. We ate it as though it were calorie free...and by the way, it's not, just so you know. Snow may be calorie free alone....but not when you mix it with a whole can of sweetened condensed milk.
Ice Popsicles along the roofline are calorie free. But they don't taste nearly as good.
And because it was the perfect powdery kind of snow, Middle Child thought it was immensely fun to rake it off the air units and watch it fly through the air with the greatest of ease.
I've mentioned a time or two here on the blog how I'm not a real cat person. I love our dog. I sort of like our cat. He's a great cat, really, and he's growing on me, but he's still not my dog. I'm happy to report Mr. Jingles and I have bonded a little through the snowstorm. I've let him come inside occasionally because he looks pitiful when it's 20 degrees outside and he comes to every window possible peering in to see how warm and cozy we are inside.
Mr. Jingles frolicked very little in the white covered ground. He didn't care much for his paws to sink deep in the snow and come out all wet and sticky, but he stil wanted to bring his curious self to whereever we were playing. He was fun to watch. Every time we stopped to play, for any length of time, he'd start scratching out a dry spot to pace around in until we left again. Cats are weird....a highly peculiar sort of animal....but I get a kick out of them and their quirks....maybe Mr. Jingles is more like me than I thought. :)
So, all in all, the snow was cool. Really cool. But I think it's only because we don't get it very often. Especially not enough of the stuff on two different occasions this year to go sledding and build snowmen and make snow cream and play!play!play!....but just a day of it is enough for me.
There's a reason I live in the south. Actually there's many reasons I live in the south. But one of them is because it doesn't snow all winter. I appreciate all "you guys" above the Mason Dixon who battle through the winter season and the blizzards that drop a foot of snow that sticks around for months on end......I do. I just don't really want it filtering it's way down here. I'm not equipped to handle it often. But thanks for the beauty of it this season, it's been gorgeous, and brought my children amazing moments of pure exhiliration. Memories to last a lifetime, or at least until time for the flip-flops to come out!
No comments:
Post a Comment