It doesn't exist. Right? I mean really, those two words should never be placed together because it just isn't possible. Think back to your high school years...oh, I know you don't want to, but humor me, okay?
I bet at some point you had a boyfriend and were totally in love...totally. Enamored with him, even.
And it was perfect. For about 3 days. Or maybe even a week. Even a lucky few of you who felt perfection for a month.
Then the drama of relationships hit full force. Ugh, the drama. (And to think, my high school days were during a time where facebook, email and cell phones were not even in use.)
Needless to say, despite the nurmber of times I wrote his name in pretty script along with mine on the outside of my notebook, the perfect love I thought we had was never there. Sadly, even though every 15 year old girl would argue with me, the truth is there is no perfect boyfriend. Not even when you get to 12th grade.
What about your husband, you say? Oh, I didn't even know my guy in high school so he doesn't really count.
Sure I finally found him, with God's grace, after high school. And it was an immediate love. I was enamored with him, certainly. He left me cute little messages on my scrabble board. It was adorable. And a few short years later, we were married. And he's really close to being the perfect husband. Thanks to me. :)
So, marriage, that will bring about perfect love, right? No. Did you not read the first sentence???....it doesn't exist. There is no perfect husband. There is no perfect marriage. (He probably doesn't even know where to find our scrabble board now.)
There can be really great marriages, full of really great love, shared between two really great people.
However, there is no perfect love. Not from us anyway. But with God there is perfect love. It's just what He is, it's in His blood, that same blood that covers us. His perfect love allowed his only Son to die. His perfect love gave us salvation.
Through Him we can know love, we can experience love, we can share love, we can give love. Because of the love He has shown us, we can love others, our non-perfect boyfriends, our non-perfect husbands, our non-perfect children, our non-perfect co-workers, our non-perfect friends, our non-perfect fill-in-the-blank.
Know God so you can know love, true love. It's the only way.
"Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
~1 John 4:8
God is love. He is perfect love.

4 comments:
Perfect verse for this month of love...I LOVE it!
Love this post, perfect for the month of Love! Well said, cousin. Love this quote from Maya Angelou, blends with it well too...."A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her."
LOVE this!! And YOU!!:)
This post was great. God is the only perfect. All other love takes a lot of work to just make great.
Post a Comment