Thursday, June 03, 2010

Delightful. HE certainly is.


I promise....these months fly by from 3rd to 3rd.  Do you not agree?  I hope you are still staying with us and focusing on each month's verse.  I know it's hard to memorize them all....but I also know the Lord doesn't ask more of us than he thinks we can handle. Although believe me...I question him about that ALOT at times. Like all during the month of May for instance!! :) 

Maybe not every verse speaks to you, and that's okay.  But every verse speaks to someone.  Somewhere. 

This month's verse, I think, will speak to everyone. It would be near impossible for it not to.....because everyone falls into one of these categories.  Daily. 
  • You asked the Lord for a blessing of some kind and HE delivered. Naturally, he would.  He's in the business of bestowing blessings.  Sometimes though, have you ever noticed, HIS blessings may not come at the time desired by us, or in the manner we may have chosen, but they always exceed what we deserve.  
  • You are currently seeking the Lord's guidance for future blessings. They just haven't arrived yet.  And some are going to just KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!! 
And here's the verse to remind you of these moments in life: 

"Delight yourself in the Lord
and He will give you the desires of your heart."
~Psalm 37:4  

I know many of you probably already have this verse memorized.  We see it often in nursery decor, on baby announcements, etc.  It's definitely a popular verse, and rightly so.  But let's go deeper with it this month.  Let's really focus on allowing the Lord to give you the desires of your heart.  Certainly, for many women that desire is for children.....a baby to call their own.  Nothing is more precious. 

 But what about our friends and family who are waiting for the blessing of a spouse. I have several on my own heart that I pray find their mate that God has in store for them.

And what about the reconciliation of marriage as a whole, as God designed it? Divorce rates are ever climbing.  It's a scary world.

And what about those burdened with finding work to provide for their family during this economic time? So many without jobs. 

And what about our military families, their safety abroad and at home? Wives and children who have experienced many deployments of their loved ones, and those whose reality was the ultimate sacrifice. For my freedom and yours.

And what about your neighbor who's reached the last stages of cancer, hospice has been brought in, the family have all collected together? I hear of this all too often now a days. 

And what about just wanting to have some peace of mind?  Do you have concerns, worries, problems in life that seem overwhelming at times? All the time? Me too.


Do you have any of these same desires?  Do you know others who do? 

Oh, you get the idea.  The list could go on and on really.  Our desire is basically just whatever I am praying for.....whatever you are praying for.....whatever he/she/we/them.....are praying for......and the list of desires is endless.  So, this verse encompasses everyone.  Or at the very least, anyone who is praying to the Lord for their desires to be met.  For their heart to be heard by the only One who can heal it.

My focus for this month, and what I hope yours is as well, is not so much on the desires portion of this verse.  I know the Lord has seen my desires, even those I think I've managed to wedge deep in the crevice because they seem so selfish....yea, even those, he's seen them.  He knew they were there before we did. He knows our desires long before we speak them aloud.

Instead of worrying about presenting my desires so boldly....I want to focus more on the first half of the verse.....delighting myself in Him.  Spending time at his feet, daily.  Spending time on my knees, daily.  Spending time delighting myself in Him, His blessings, the small and big--from the breath he gives me each morning, to the coupons in Sunday's paper, the laughter of my children, to the safety of my husband, the health of my parents, to the popsicles on a hot day, the joy of friendships, the fun of flip flops in summer......for each and every moment.....DELIGHT in Him.  The one who makes every moment happen.  Not by chance.  But by His divine nature.

I chose this verse because I have a lot of unspoken requests on my prayer plate right now.  Some serious points I'm laying before the Lord and asking for help, for His help.  But I also chose it because it's summer.....and I love summer, in fact I'd say that I think summer is just DELIGHTFUL.  And it made me think of this verse. 

Go ahead....summer is here.  Delight yourself in the Lord.

He already gives us the answer as to what will happen next. He will give us the desires of our hearts.

Here's to a DELIGHTFUL summer for us all!!!  Don't take a break from soaking up the real SON this summer.

4 comments:

MomMom said...

Thanks for the verse and the reminders. Great post!!

ChrisJean3 said...

Once again...I'm in tears...thank you! I really needed that today. Love you bunches!

HPES said...

I LOVE THIS VERSE!!! This is the verse that God used to ignite a passion for His Word and studying Hebrew and Greek. The word "delight" in Hebrew means to be soft and pliable. I love that. Soft and pliable- kind of like clay. Makes me think of Isaiah 64:8 "Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand". How precious He is. The many times I have been the opposite of soft and pliable, determined to force my way-it crumbled. But the times I have been soft and pliable, letting the Father's hands form me and move me, He has given me the desires of my heart--many desires that I did not even know were my desires. He molded me and made His desires mine. Isn't it a delight when we are soft and pliable in the Lord? There is peace, unexplainable peace. There is trust, hope, expectation. No striving or struggling, but rest in Him. (and by the way, those times it crumbled, in His grace He picked up the pieces and molded them into something beautiful- He truly brings beauty from ashes)

Unknown said...

I went to a Beth Moore conference last fall and the entire thing revloved aroung this verse. Love it!