Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Focus. The Prize is near.

Are y'all as excited as I am when the Olympics roll around? 
     

 Oh, my, I just love to watch all the athletes hailing from countries small and large, far and near, to represent their homeland on the world stage. I enjoy the competitive side as well as the human interest stories behind the scenes. 


 And each day I see these Olympians and wonder just what road they've been down to get here. 



I can assure you that no one's road has been easy.  They have each sacrificed much, some more than others. 

 

They have trained for countless hours, until their bodies were screaming for a break, only to push even farther, even harder, even faster, even stronger.  All because they knew this day would come.


Their would be a time when they would have the opportunity of gaining this prize....sure it's icing on the cake to go home with a medal around your neck....but the prize of reaching this spot.   

This very spot which is only reserved for the best, not just the best in your school, in your park league, in your neighborhood, in your city, in your state, in your county, heck, not even in your continent....but these folks are the BEST IN THE WORLD.


They have perserved, they have fought to get here.  They have remained focused when others have tried to tear them down, told them they would never be good enough., told them to just give up....


And guess what, they don't give up, or give in, they just keep pushing harder to reach that goal.  They kept believing in their abilities, their coach, their supporters, their dream.


And do you know when they begin that journey? Is it the day before their event? The week they won their qualifying meet back home? Last summer?  No.  They train years in advance, for some, they train a lifetime for this moment.  Oh, how I love the Olympics.



So, with all these thoughts in mind, I couldn't think of a more fitting verse to memorize this month: 


"I have fought the good fight.



I have finished the race.


I have kept the faith." 



Yes, indeed we should focus on this path, we should continue our daily training, we should keep the faith....

"I have fought the good fight,
 I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith."
~2 Timothy 4:7


No comments: