A couple of years back you may remember this post....(a tear jerker to say the least)...where Elder Son tried out for the JV basketball team in 7th grade and didn't make the cut (there were about 6 ninth grade boys who dominated that season). He did make the team the next year and had a good bit of playing time. But this year, well, this year he's doing great!
I am happy to report, Elder Son not only made the Junior Varsity team this year, he is a starter, and he's one of those 9th grade boys to watch out for. I can't really say he dominates anything, even if he is my son. But I can tell you that without a doubt he has made marked improvement upon last year. And that's not just his mama speaking, that has been told from his Coach's mouth, and various other fans and parents in the stands.
For those of you wondering, Middle Child did not go out for the team this year. For various reasons, I'm sure of which include the fact that his brother was cut in 7th grade and that's still fresh in his mind. Also, he's not a fan of running. I tried to encourage him and explain that there was no need to worry about his height being an issue. In front of the coach, principal and fellow peers I said...."haven't you ever heard of Spudd Webb 5'6" and Muggsy 5'3"---short statures by baskteball standards sure, but they even played in the NBA". Middle Child just smiled and politely nodded....but later while walking out of the gym, where only I could hear, he quietly replied, "yes they were short, but Mom, they were also black." Oh, yeah, there is that. He is a big supporter at the ballgames though, filming his brother when Temple can't be at the games. And there's always next year, I'm expecting his excitement and confidence for the game to rise. While he still won't be black, there's a good chance he will be taller.
I am so proud. They won their game 38-21 and Elder Son was high scorer with 11 points!! Yep, that's my boy. And if you attend a game you will also recognize my mother in the stands...she's the one who yells phrases like "get him off of my grandson" -- loud and proud. :)



1 comment:
If Joan needs any help in the stands....I am VERY experienced!
Post a Comment